Monday, March 22, 2010

The Rack Pack

This entry was written by Jenna Jackson, LBBC's Program Coordinator:

When my colleague asked me to write a blog entry about why I decided to start my own Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer fundraising team I thought it would be an easy thing to do. But now that I am trying to write it down, I’m finding it difficult to pinpoint just a few reasons for getting involved in the event. There are thousands of reasons why I felt it was something I wanted to do.


My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer during my spring break freshman year of college. I remember feeling lost and not knowing what to expect during the next few years. Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer helps fund a lot of the programming that assists families like mine during that time of confusion and uncertainty.


I recently became a Program Coordinator at Living Beyond Breast Cancer, which means I assist in the planning of our education events. In this position, I have the privilege of attending all of our conferences and networking meetings; as well as, listen in to all of our teleconferences. I am able to observe first hand all of the valuable resources that Living Beyond Breast Cancer provides to women affected by breast cancer.


I also felt it was a great event to bring all of my friends together. Once I decided to start a fundraising team, I asked all of my girlfriends on facebook and was surprised by all of the positive responses. I currently have 12 friends on my team and it gives us something positive to do together. We recently held a fundraiser at a local bar and restaurant and raised $520 for our team in two hours. Not many 23-27 year olds can say that they raised that much money on a Saturday night while just having fun with their friends!


There are a lot of reasons why I started my own fundraising team for Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer and I certainly can’t list all of them in this blog entry. To summarize all of them, I’d just like to say it is a healthy, fun, and unique way to bring people you know together for a good cause.

                                   Jenna (on left) and her sister

Like Jenna, you too can form a team for Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer! Just visit the website to register and get started. If you don't feel like starting your own team, join an existing one! There are tons of ways to get involved and help us raise $200,000 for the nearly 200,000 women that will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like genetics, or inherited traits from parents, also play a role in determining the health status of individuals and populations. This can encompass both the predisposition to certain diseases and health conditions, as well as the habits and behaviors individuals develop through the lifestyle of their families

    ReplyDelete