Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hakuna Ma TATA's

This entry was written by Ann Kaczmarskyj, a Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer supporter:


In the past six years, my mother has been diagnosed with breast cancer four times. This past year, I decided to participate in as many breast cancer events as possible during the last year of my 20’s. I found Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer, and signed up. It was one of my favorite events, and I decided I had to do it again! However, I wanted to do more, so I’m recruiting others to join me. That’s how my fundraising team, Hakuna Ma TATA’s, was born.


My motto has always been, “don’t worry about it until you’re given something to worry about.” I’ve kept this in mind each time my mother was diagnosed. It helps me focus on the positive. Naturally, I wanted to incorporate it into my participation. After all, who can forget a name like Hakuna Ma TATA’s?


This event is my way of doing something for my mother, and all the other women and supporters affected by breast cancer. I’ve never heard of an event that promotes breast cancer awareness through yoga in such a public setting. What a great way to get the message out—on the steps of a major tourist attraction! At last year’s event, I performed yoga on the top step of the Philadelphia Art Museum. I remember looking down at all the other participants and being amazed by the quiet. It’s not often you’re in a city and its quiet. I was touched by the moment and the fact that we were all there for the same reason.


Am I a yoga professional? Absolutely not. But I went out there and had a great time. The instructor gave alternatives for beginners like me. Even if you can’t perform yoga, just relax and take in the peace of the city. You’re there for a good cause and watching the class on the steps is just as breathtaking as participating in it.


My mother has been a pillar of strength in our family. By participating in Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer, I’m being strong for her. I’m also being strong for the men and women that have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and for the thousands of men and women that will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Instead of sitting around worrying about what could happen, I’m taking action to help change what will happen. After all, worry gets you nowhere. Will you join me?


Hakuna MaTaTa!


Ann & her mother Martha

 Ann is proof that you don’t need to live in Philly to form a fundraising team. She’s doing this all from Virginia, with some team members from New York! If you’d like to join Ann’s fundraising team, another existing team or form your own, please visit the event website. We’re encouraging all participants to form fundraising teams in order to help us raise $200,000. Last year, our fundraising teams brought in $68,052—which was over half of the total amount raised. Donations at all levels help us reach our goal and even just $5 or $10 can make a difference!



If you’re already registered to participate, share your story with us by leaving a comment below or on our Facebook Page. Why have you decided to get involved? Who are you raising the money for? You may have a chance to be featured in our next blog entry. Until then…Happy Fundraising!



No comments:

Post a Comment