Thursday, March 11, 2010

Check your ego at the door

This entry was written by one of our volunteers. This is her first year participating in the event:

It’s coming up on my two-year anniversary since my breast cancer diagnosis. It’s been quite a journey in just two years! When I was first diagnosed in April 2008, I knew my life would change forever. At first, I thought it would change for the worst. But, this experience has changed me for the best in so many ways.

One of the most significant uplifting experiences I have had on this journey is my involvement with Living Beyond Breast Cancer. When I received the Guide for the Newly Diagnosed that first day in my surgeon’s office, I felt hope. LBBC’s mission statement would become my mantra; live the best quality of life for as long as possible.


About six months ago, I decided it was time for me to start getting back into yoga. (Of course, I thought I was a pro from way back when - I was self-taught using my power yoga DVDs.) I took an intensive beginner’s yoga class and from there I became hooked. At first, I just thought it would be good exercise. After a few weeks, I began to make the connection that yoga could change me not just physically, but spiritually and mentally. Back when I was initially diagnosed, I felt betrayed by my own body. As I get more into yoga and learned to breathe and listen to my body, I feel more in touch with my body. I am developing awareness. I am also learning acceptance of what I can and cannot do. I have learned to check my ‘ego’ at the door.

I am learning to live in the moment. I feel peace and jubilation that doesn’t end when the class ends. It only seemed natural that I get involved in LBBC's event, Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer, which is a basic outdoor yoga class and Healthy Living Expo. I formed a fundraising team for the event and appropriately named it "Jubilant Jugs."

Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer is a perfect event on so many levels: increasing awareness while supporting our mothers, sisters, and friends. And what a perfect place for such an event - at the top of the Philadelphia Art Museum steps! Rocky fans will particularly enjoy that location.

What am I looking forward to most? Participating with my fellow sisters (and brothers) on those Art Museum stairs. Jubilant Jugs… here we come!


Want to form a fundraising team for Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer?
Just visit the website & register to get started. It's a great way to honor someone's memory, support a loved one or like Kathy, celebrate being out of treatment! Even if you don't know someone affected by breast cancer or don't live in the Philly area, you can still form a team. 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year...let's support these women by raising $200,000!
 
Remember to visit us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who it was that left a lovely comment on my blog at Stay In The Pink, but I am touched by it. It is clear that all of us have been deeply affected by breast cancer, but decided to fight with all our might. Thank you for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete