Friday, January 22, 2010

A Brigade for Breast Cancer Awareness

This entry was written by Gina Peracchia, who formed a fundraising team for Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer in honor of her mother:

I know of many people affected by breast cancer in some way. I've known friends' mothers, grandmothers, etc. who were diagnosed with the disease, but never in my life did I think it would hit so close to home.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer on January 16, 2009. It took awhile for that fact to sink in and myself, my dad and brother were constantly going through the motions. My mom was physically and mentally suffering, and none of us knew what to do. I believe she felt alone throughout much of her diagnosis. When she found Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC), everything changed.

LBBC has become a huge part of my mom's life. This organization undoubtedly gave her a new perspective on life and taught her how to live for tomorrow. After my mom started volunteering at LBBC, I wanted to do something to help as well. She told me about Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer and how she was planning on participating in the event this spring. Because I knew she'd be busy preparing for my wedding in April, I offered to form a team for her. A few weeks ago, the 2nd Base Brigade was born.

Yoga is an amazing form of exercise, especially for our mental well-being. Besides being a great way to fundraise, I think it's also a great way to bring family and friends together, along with breast cancer survivors, and show them how much they mean to us. We want them with us for a long time to come and Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer is a special way of helping make that possible. I am proud to be a part of the 2nd Base Brigade and I know my mom appreciates the support. I'm happy to say that at this year's event, my mom will be participating as a one-year breast cancer survivor.

Everything I do that involves LBBC is not only for my mom, but for others living with breast cancer. Yes, it feels good to volunteer and participate in an event for a good cause, but it's different when you've seen firsthand what this disease can do to a person. I'm hoping other survivors will find peace on May 16, as we climb the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum.



(l to r) Gina's mom Susan and Gina



Want to learn more about Yoga Unites for Living Beyond Breast Cancer? Visit yoga4livingbeyondbreastcancer.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.




Who are you going to raise money for?

No comments:

Post a Comment